Wedding Botox & Your Big Day
Pre-Wedding Botox: How long before your wedding should you get Botox?
With the excitement, thrills, pressures, and stresses that come with planning a wedding, many brides wonder if their skincare routines will hold up to their desired bridal beauty plans. Inspired by the glowing, celebrity selfie image often referred to as “Instagram Face”, many brides have recently looked to injectables, such as dermal fillers or Botox, to enhance their wedding day look. These treatments can be nerve-wracking for some, which is why Dr. Michele Green, in her NYC private office, caters to the individual needs of all brides-to-be while ensuring a natural, youthful glow for the wedding day.
When it comes to both preventative aging treatment and skin enhancement, it’s important to meet with your dermatologist well in advance of your special day. We recommend an initial appointment about six months in advance to discuss daily skincare routine, injectables, botox treatments, and any other cosmetic treatments that cater to your needs. By meeting with Dr. Green this far in advance, patients have plenty of time to see the full results of an initial treatment and ensure recovery from any bruising, swelling, or side effects; plus, they can return to the office for any tweaks or top-ups in the weeks following an initial session, closer to their special day.
If you’re curious about your skincare or cosmetic treatment options leading up to your wedding, contact the office today to learn how you can look just as beautiful as you’ll feel on your wedding day.
Botox (Botulinum Toxin) is a Neuromodulator that has become hugely popular for women ages 30 and older as an easy way to reduce the effects of fine lines, particularly when it comes to frown lines, crow’s feet, “11” lines, and other forehead lines. Botox is an injectable that freezes the muscles near the injection site, allowing the skin surrounding the muscle to remain relaxed and wrinkle-free. Most patients find that there is very little downtime associated with the procedure, and prefer it to more permanent procedures with plastic surgeons due to its natural appearance.
Neuromodulators like Botox, as well as Dysport and Xeomin, are incredibly safe and reliable. When paired with an excellent dermatologist, these cosmetic treatments will leave you feeling confident and all aglow on the big day.
Botox and Your Wedding Day
Due to Botox’s relaxing effect on muscles, Dr. Green recommends that each patient – “Botox virgins” or first time Botox patients in particular–start with an appointment several months in advance of a wedding celebration. This to ensure that there’s enough time for any bruising to heal, as well as to guarantee that a bride-to-be, mother-of-the-bride, or bridesmaid is happy with the overall aesthetic of the injections. Then, if you like your initial Botox treatment results, you can plan on having additional “tune ups” or treatments done closer to the wedding day.
Botox treatment is truly a collaborative art form between dermatologist and client, and multiple visits ensure a natural, glowing masterpiece both on your wedding day and in your wedding photos; anything within two weeks of the wedding is simply too short of a time frame to perfect a look. Oftentimes, it’s useful to think about these treatments as a part of wedding planning overall: just like a wedding vendor or venue, if you want the best possible result, you’ll want to schedule well in advance.
Planning ahead of your Big Day
Here in New York, it’s common to get caught up in a busy schedule, and wedding planning certainly does not make things easier for a bride or groom. However, it’s so worth it to consider your skin as you’re headed towards that wonderful day of celebration.
Meeting with a dermatologist six to seven months out from the big day can help to remind you to take care of yourself and your skin, and can range from daily skincare changes to dietary adjustments to injectables. Here are a few options that you might consider while approaching your big day:
- Dermal Fillers: Dermal fillers, such as hyaluronic acid fillers Juvederm and Restylane, boost the body’s natural collagen production in order to make the face appear fuller and younger. Dermal fillers can be used to decrease age lines, a well as to augment lips and cheeks, and can easily be combined with Botox injections and other cosmetic treatments.
- Daily Skincare routine: When it comes to skincare, several months of regimented Vitamin A or Retinol application can do wonders to create a healthy glow for your skin. Dr. Green can tailor a custom skincare treatment routine for you depending on your skin type or any special needs (rosacea, acne, or otherwise). We recommend maintaining the same skincare routine for at least 3 months before any special occasions.
- Change in diet: If you’ve been experiencing an increase in acne, rosacea, or other skin irritation, your dermatologist may recommend a change in diet or skincare routine to help you be your most gorgeous self on your wedding day.
- Cortisone Shot: See a zit the day before the wedding weekend? Now that won’t do! A cortisone injection can be done in-office to reduce any inflammation or irritation, helping that zit to disappear in 24-48 hours.
- Alternative cosmetic treatments: Depending on your skin type, a series of chemical peels, facials, or microdermabrasion treatments may be just what you need for your special day.
Any of the above can be incorporated into your skincare plan before your special day, along with your pre-wedding botox treatments. Contact our office at