Acne is the most common dermatologic condition that can affect both teenagers and adults alike. Acne and the side effects of acne such as redness, scars, and pigmentation, can make many patients feel discouraged and self-conscious. The proper diagnosis and treatment for your acne is crucial to get the proper cure and prevent acne scars. Discolorations and scars left by previous outbreaks or other dermatological problems are now treatable now with the latest technologies including lasers, TCA chemical peels, PRP, microneedling, and cosmetic injections with fillers. Using these and other treatments, Dr. Michele Green can clear up your skin and erase or improve signs of past skin problems.
eMatrix for acne scars
Laser Treatments for Acne Scar Removal
The eMatrix, Fraxel, and V-Beam Laser are some of the most effective lasers for improving the appearance of acne scars and redness. The V-Beam laser is considered the “gold standard” for treating redness and red acne scars. Both inflammatory and noninflammatory acne conditions are proven to be reduced with the VBeam laser treatment. A series of 4 to 6 treatments given at monthly intervals is usually all it takes. Inflammatory acne lesions are reduced by an average of 85% and non-inflammatory lesions by approximately 70% – and the appearance of acne scars and skin redness is improved. The skin is rejuvenated and redness reduced without any “down time” or discomfort.
The Fraxel Dual laser provides some of most effective treatment for acne scars. In only 4 or 5 sessions with the Fraxel laser, acne scars will be significantly improved. The procedure takes less than an hour and only has 48 hours of inflammation from the laser. The benefit for “fractionated” technology is that only a fraction of the skin is resurfaced which allows the skin to heal quickly without significant “down time.” Since a series of microscopic laser spots is delivered to the skin, the healthy skin between these tiny dots remains untouched, ensuring fast healing after each laser treatment.
ematrix for acne scars
eMatrix RF is a great solution for skin resurfacing and acne removal. Since the eMatrix is “color blind”, it is highly effective on Asian, Mediterranean, Indian, and Hispanic skin, all of which is very sensitive and can easily hyperpigment. eMatrix works on all skin types and can heat the skin through radiofrequency technology and delivers the heat deeply to remodel and form new collagen in the skin. This new collagen allows the skin to heal and reduce the scars after just a few treatments. eMatrix has minimal downtime with some redness and peeling for up to 48 hours.
These lasers are highly effective on hypertrophic scars, atrophic scars, rolling scars, as well as icepick scars.
Chemical Peels for Acne Scars
Chemical peels are an effective treatment for mild acne scarring. Chemical peels can be performed without any significant down time and the phrase “lunch time peel” has become very popular since you can return to work immediately after the peel. Chemical peels are non-invasive and very affordable treatments yielding beautiful results. One of the main benefits of chemical peels for acne patients is that the peel allows the dead skin to be removed and unclogs acne and pores, uncovering the healthy tissue underneath. This allows new healthy skin to regenerate and uncover beautiful rejuvenated skin.
There are many different strengths of chemical peels and types of acids used. Both the type of acid and the strength of the acid will determine the depth of the peel and the amount of redness and irritation resulting. Most chemical peels are performed every two to four weeks in order to ensure a proper series or course of treatment. Chemical peels are designed to help clear up acne blemishes; reduce fine lines and wrinkles; lighten brown spots resulting from acne, the sun, or melasma; and smooth and brighten the skin. After a treatment the skin may be red and irritated, but recovery will be complete within a few days.
Dr. Michele Green performs Chemical Peel treatments in her NYC office and prescribes a daily follow-up regimen at home using skin care products from MGSKINLABS. These products may combine topical Vitamin C, Retinoids, Retin-A, anti-aging serums, hydroquinones, and sunscreens.
Trichloroacetic Acid Peels for Acne
For those with mild to moderate acne and acne scars, trichloroacetic acid peels quickly and gently exfoliate dead cells on the surface layer of the skin and prevent further acne outbreaks. Acne-prone skin usually has a slower rate of natural exfoliation, so there is opportunity for clogged and enlarged pores to cause nodular acne, whiteheads and blackheads. Trichloroacetic acid peels promotes new skin cell growth and removes dead and damaged cells, giving your skin a healthier glow.
TCA Cross Hatch for acne scars
TCA Cross Hatch involves placing high concentration trichloroacetic acid inside an ice pick acne scar resulting in reduction in the size of the acne scar. This is different than the TCA peel option above, and is a stronger version for moderate acne scarring on ice pick scars.
Microdermabrasion will reduce mild acne scars, fine lines and wrinkles, and stimulate collagen and elastin production with no recovery time. Our New York practice uses the latest in diamond microdermabrasion technology to reveal the healthy skin beneath the dry surface cells that dull your complexion. After microdermabrasion the epidermis begins rapidly to produce new cells, and this deeper layer of skin thickens because of the resulting increase in collagen production. In effect, microdermabrasion damages the skin in order that it may heal itself and produce younger and more luminous skin.
For optimal results, Dr. Green recommends four to six microdermabrasion treatments every two to four weeks. Dr. Michele Green combines microdermabrasion with her fabulous Oxygen facial to give you the best results. Through these special serums and minerals, Oxygen is infused into the skin to give you an immediate glow. Over time, your skin will look younger and your skin tone will be more even.
Microneedling & PRP
Microneedling is a popular procedure used for the face, neck, back, hands and décolletage skin. It has also become one of the latest “Hollywood” treatments to combat aging. Aquagold is one method of micro needling the skin and can be combined with Botox and Belotero and other fillers as well. The Eclipse Micropen is also an exceptional way to treat the skin and can be combined with Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) treatments to rejuvenate the skin.
Fillers for Acne Scars
Dr. Green offers a variety of options for treatment with dermal fillers to make sure you’re getting the right solution to meet your appearance goals:
- Belotero Balance — One of the newer hyaluronic acid fillers, Belotero Balance replaces lost hyaluronic acid (HA) caused by the natural aging process, filling in deep wrinkles. Its unique properties offer a soft, even correction throughout the face.
- Juvederm — Dr. Green was one of the first doctors in New York to begin incorporating Juvederm treatments into her practice. This advanced formulation of hyaluronic acid (HA) can be used for deep lines and wrinkles, and results can last up to 12 months.
- Voluma — Juvederm Voluma is designed to help restore youthful contours by plumping up the cheeks and chin where the aging process has caused volume loss. This advanced formulation of hyaluronic acid (HA) can last up to 18 months.
- Radiesse — Radiesse is an injectable filler made of calcium hydroxyapatite, which replenishes the lost collagen under your skin and promotes an increase of natural collagen production for lasting results.
- Restylane — Restylane is specially formulated to repopulate the loss of hyaluronic acid (HA) that is partially responsible for the appearance of aging and the development of wrinkles.
- Perlane — Like Restylane, Perlane is an HA filler that adds fullness and volume in order to correct deep lines and wrinkles. However, since Perlane uses larger particles, this treatment is ideal for deeper injections, especially around the nasolabial folds.
- Sculptra — Sculptra is a safe, effective dermal filler that combines the immediate results of other fillers offered from our New York practice, while simultaneously boosting the skin’s natural collagen production to help results last even longer.
Other dermal fillers include Bellafill for Acne Scars. If you’d like to find out more about these medical-grade acne treatments, contact us online today or call 212-535-3088. Dr. Michele S. Green, a board certified dermatologist based in the Upper East Side of NYC, practices the latest techniques in effective treatment and care to help you better love the skin you’re in.
- Find out about laser treatment for acne
- Take a look at before and after acne scar photographs
- Learn about the different types of acne scars
- How is Fraxel used for Acne Scar treatment?
- Peels for acne and acne scars
- Read about Microdermabrasion for Acne Scars
- Bellafill can help with certain types of acne scars
- Microneedling for Acne Scars