BuzzFeed Life spoke with Dr. Rachel Nazarian, F.A.A.D., of the Schweiger Dermatology Group and Dr. Michele Green, Chief Resident in Dermatology at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, and made a list of these simple things you can do every day to prevent and reduce your risk of acne — wherever it pops up.
For example on #21. Dr. Green mentions: “People think that the reason their acne is flaring up is because of the junk food they’re stress-eating. But the real reason for their acne is the increase in their cortisol levels that happens when they get stressed out. It’s actually not the junk food at all.”
Top ways to prevent acne include:
1. First, understand what acne is and what causes it.
2. Be wary of DIY acne cures and home remedies.
3. Stop exfoliating so much.
4. Don’t press a phone to your face during long calls.
5. If you suffer from body acne, you’ll probably want to shower every night.
6. And you should use a body wash with acne medicine anywhere you’re breaking out.
7. If you get ingrown hairs around your groin, apply hydrocortisone cream to the area after you shave.
8. Make a habit of putting your hair up or back before you work out.
9. Wear lighter and looser cotton clothing or breathable clothes that wick away sweat.
10. ALWAYS leave time to shower or at least wipe down and change clothes after exercising.
11. Make sure you’re changing and cleaning your bedding regularly.
12. Wash your hoodies, scarves, and coats often.
13. Only use a heavy-duty cleanser once a day.
14. Make sure you’re doing your nightly routine in the right order.
15. Even if you find it sexy, be careful around scruff.
16. Shave at the end of your shower and stick to unscented shaving creams.
17. Use a two-blade razor and shave in as few swipes as possible.
18. Do not go bananas trying to squeeze the hell out of your blackheads.
19. And leave your whiteheads alone.
20. Stick to oil-free or non-comedogenic makeup products only.
21. Oh, and actually take some time to unwind, relax, and minimize stress.
22. Know when to throw in the towel and see a professional about your acne.
Find out more details at: http://www.buzzfeed.com/shannonrosenberg/heres-how-to-actually-get-rid-of-acne-all-over-your-body